If I wrote it at this moment, it would have an item like
Remove all dirt placed in the new retaining wall garden that is necessary to keep house from floating away or crumbling into dust because we forgot to put the damn black plastic down.
This item would be followed with
Try not to yell
Then another item like
Help children put away the four baskets of laundry I assigned them to put away on Monday, because the four baskets are now part of what obviously must have been a reenactment in which the clothes played the part of lave erupting from a volcano and I going to have to rewash at least half of them
This item would be followed by
DO NOT YELL.
Take deep breaths and remember children get more accomplished when having fun verses other, easier options, like being yelled at. Put on music and dance the clothes onto the hangers. Invite the children to join in the dance party and get laundry cleaned up in a snap.
That particular item may also be followed with
Walk back to reality. In fact, take a walk, claiming it is for health reasons, and advise the clothing be put away before returning home.
Give a time limit. For myself.
Also state as well the bathroom trash I assigned to be taken out and was then argued about with before noon on Saturday, that should disappear too. Strongly suggest that the trash can also be clean and lemony scented.
Keep the DO NOT YELL.
May apply duct tape to personal mouth as necessary and write instructions on white board. Use underlines and exclamation points.
After returning from walk, begin process of removing all dirt and pavers already in place.
See above references about yelling.
Remember no one listens except the neighbors when there is too much yelling. If that doesn't help, remember that I hate chamomile tea and that is the only thing I have to help with strep throat at the moment.
My actual matter of factual list includes the above items as well as:
TSP the walls of the cottage in order to prep them for patching and painting this week
Water all plants in the am
Fill back of pick up with debris from yard
Finish retaining wall
Remove all 80 pavers from pathway, make a frame for the front pathway/brick patio. Fill with fill dirt until completely evenly level. Replace 80 pavers, add additional 200.
Return to store and purchase 200 more - argue with associate that I have already driven 200 home previously and yes I am sure the van can hold it
Track down a tiller and till an 8 x 6 plot of land in the orchard so that cucumbers, watermelon, and pumpkin plants already purchased may be planted before completely dead
I will be happy if I only accomplish:
Snuggle with children and read them some chapters from The Fire Within by Chris D'Lacey so that they gain a healthy suspicion that our dragon lawn ornaments may really be alive.
Make some homemade play dough
Charge the cameras so that I can capture the final moments of swim class as they independently swim and gap tooth grin.
I must remember how I want my children to remember me. How I want them to see me, and feel about me now. The cuddly squishy mom who allowed them to be who they were and make age appropriate choices, or the stern spikey mom who expected perfection and demanded more than they could possibly accomplish - removing fun and instilling fear. In truth I want a bit of both. I want them to remember the fun, and how I encouraged them in what they were interested in. How I filled their minds with stories and words, their bodies with nourishing food, and their souls with a loving divine God. But I also want them to remember that I was firm, demanded respect, and taught them that having good character is better than having ghetto mannerisms.
No comments:
Post a Comment