When I was little my dentist and hygienist would tease me about becoming a smile model. I had good, strong healthy teeth that were naturally well aligned and cavity free. My mom would say I had shiny teeth the size of dinner plates.
It was a shock to me to have Songbird have cavities at the tender age of two. Her diet did not consist of sweets and I was diligent about her tooth brushing routine. It turned out that she doesn't naturally have enough enamel on her teeth and there wasn't much I could do - other than what I had already been doing. She has only had a few cavities since and does all right most of the time.
Sunshine, Starlet, and Snickers all have practically perfect teeth. Sunshine got her first cavity just a year ago, and it was so tiny filling it was a precaution on my insistence. The other two remain cavity free.
It is when we get to Smash, whose smile is contagious and almost constant that everything turns horrifically frowny faced. Sunshine noticed a discoloration on one tooth, and when we subsequently took him into the dentist today (the soonest appointment available) we learned he has cavities in every single tooth!! Some of those teeth aren't even a month old! How does this happen?!
He is scheduled for dental surgery tomorrow and I am simultaneously terrified and horrified. I don't want my little guy to go under anesthesia - no matter how safe it is. Though weaning him has been a milestone I have been ecstatic to reach, being forced to wean is a different story all together. My "squishies" are his comfort object, like other toddlers have binkies and blankets. There is going to be so much change over the next few weeks
No comments:
Post a Comment