Friday, April 19, 2013

The wannabe part of me 01/12/13

Yesterday I dared to be selfish. Repeatedly. It was literally a marathon act of endurance which at one point had me almost in tears.

It started by looking in the mirror. Instead of glancing at it to smooth down stray hairs in frustration, I actually looked.  Really looked. My roots were almost 2.5 inches long and there were  too many to count  a few distinguished grey hairs. When did that happen? I know I realized that it was looking a bit rough a while ago, but at that time I was debating a pixie cut and blonde hair. After unsuccessfully dying Songbird's hair blonde, which was much shorter, lighter colored, and manageable than mine the idea of blonde was disposed of and I never got any farther than that.

Now it was time to take action! Though I didn't want to cut my hair at this point, a new color was in order. So I decided to splurge and buy the required two boxes at Walmart. Spending a sum of $17 on me. For something that was none renewable, reusable, or capable of being shared with a preschooler.

The aisle at Walmart was almost overwhelming. So many choice and options. I was literally standing there open mouthed for forty five minutes. I really truly want to do something brave - like the black with purple highlights, or burgundy,or violet or even a dark auburn. But what would they look like with my pink complexion? Would they look trashy? What would others think of me? Would people be not so conspicuously snapping my pic to post on a website of what not to do? So after debating, picking up and putting back boxes, trying to coax a decision from my husband, annoying other customers and concerning the associates that I might try to do something illegal, I chose my own natural color. A nice, safe choice.

I suppose I shouldn't have expected any different - in returning to school I have changed my major from math to biology but either way teachers are not known for their rebellious daring do.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Mama,
    I too find myself in the same predicament. Should I? What if?
    Lets throw caution to the wind Color away and WOW them all.

    ReplyDelete